The Patriot

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 am

Love it!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:41 pm

I don’t know if this book has been mentioned up thread, but I discovered it on my Chapters wishlist and added it to my last order: The Lives Of Banastre Tarleton And Mary Robinson.

Without giving too much away in case anyone else has this on her to-read list, here are my thoughts. Image

Most chapters focussed on one or the other, Banastre or Mary. His early chapters, (it seemed like much of the book) dealt with his military campaigns in the revolutionary war. I skipped over them, frankly. (My sister noted how laboured my reading of this was and kept asking if I had given it up yet. Perhaps it wasn’t the best choice for a vacation read. Image ) In some cases, a battle or situation was described after which the author wrote, “Perhaps Tarleton was there.” I felt that was cheating, although I suppose those passages may have served the function of giving the context of the times.

Tarleton was despised in the colonies/US but considered a hero in England, which makes sense. Among the things I learned, he fought (politically, not militarily) against
Wilberforce’s struggle to abolish the slave trade. The charmer. It also mentions an early friendship with
John Graves Simcoe. This interested me personally as Simcoe later became the first Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada, now the province of Ontario. As LG, Simcoe outlawed slavery in Upper Canada. Today, (literally, today, the first Monday in August) there is a civic holiday in Canada, known in Toronto as “Simcoe Day”.

Mary’s chapters actually interested me more as I had read a bio of the
Duchess of Devonshire and was somewhat familiar with that period in history and recognised many of the famous names.

One last, pernickety criticism; the use of exclamation marks seemed a little juvenile for a biography!

My recommendation, in short; don’t bother.

Note: Obviously I was interested in this book as Tarleton is said to be the inspiration for Tavvy. Another book, which arrived in the same order from Chapters, was

The Blair Years
Campbell is said to be the inspiration for Malcolm Tucker, my favourite character from The Thick of It
This one was definitely not vacation reading. Image

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:00 pm

I received my books today...woohooo :woot
They arrived sooner than I expected- and my pile of books just keeps growing :))

~me

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Fruitbat, goodonyer for completing the slog!
In some cases, a battle or situation was described after which the author wrote, “Perhaps Tarleton was there.” I felt that was cheating
I'll say--especially since I suspect there's pretty decent documentation for actions in which he DID participate. He wasn't shy about tooting his own horn; I have a London newspaper dated 1778, I think, which quotes a dispatch from him. In it he does mention burning civilian buildings (though never occupied churches!!), because there were 'insurgents' using them--he blamed the Rebels for this behaviour.
As for his defense of slavery, it's not really surprising--he served many years, I think, as MP for Liverpool--an important port which relied financially on the slave trade. His constituents stood to lose a great deal if slavery were outlawed. :-|

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 am

OK! Watched it again for about the tenth time last night, is that a baby Charlotte is holding at the end? I hadn't really realised before but That last ten minutes of the film look like they have just been chucked together. Mind you Tavingtons dead, don't really care.

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:16 pm

Yeah, I've always noticed that-Charlotte and Stumpy obviously did more than kiss after Gabriel's wedding. ;-)

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm

wolfsaver wrote:Yeah, I've always noticed that-Charlotte and Stumpy obviously did more than kiss after Gabriel's wedding. ;-)

"Stumpy"?? LOL

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 am

Figures he'd have his eyes on another woman. *ohtheirony*

~ML :razzlite :loco

SaraR

Re: The Patriot

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 am

Let's see, this was one of the first movies where I saw Jason, at least in a major lead role. Honestly, the entire movie had me laughing, crying, etc, so it was very hard to process stuff. In a summer where the other huge movie that came out was Gladiator, it's not really surprising those are really the only two I remember. I own them both actually. I bought The Patriot first, it was actually my first DVD purchase, haha. (I also really love movies about that time period, both the Revolutionary War and in general.)

It's one of those movies that have a weird place for me. At first, I was so shocked by what Tavington did that I was kind of baffled, but at the same time, that's kind of the angle they wanted to go at. I was also kind of disappointed he was the baddie, but at the same time, who cares? Jason totally stole the show, or I probably wouldn't even own it anymore. My sister and I both really love that movie, and used to watch it before we both moved out. It's one of those late night 'relaxing' movies for me now, unless I end up rewinding all the good parts, then it turns into the late night stay up until 3 or 4 am parties... :oops:

I'm kind of desensitized to the brutality of it now, and spend most of the time watching the lighting techniques and giggling when Tavvy is on screen.

Monday night, I convinced my dad to watch it with me again. He hasn't seen it probably since the DVD came out originally, and after threatening him with Shining Through, he finally relented. :mrgreen: I was, of course, in my usual state of :shock: and then he says "Wow, the guy playing the bad guy is REALLY good at being a bad guy." I got dead quiet like oh crap REGROUP REGROUP, hahaha. (He likes to give me loads of crap about actor crushes, haha).

Interesting little tidbit, the little girl in the beginning who plays Susan, the youngest daughter, looks EXACTLY like my little sister did when she was very young. It was CREEPY and the first time she saw it, she was like holy crap!!!

And also incidentally, I could SWEAR that "Cannonball Guy" is at Cowpens. I was watching the other night and made a point to see if that was who I thought it was, at least as appearances go, and it HAD to be him. :lol :lol :lol

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:22 am

Tavington's brutality shocked me ar first but after seeing this movie a few times I came to the conclusion that he did what he did simply because he believed he was acting right. And now I ask: is there morality in the context of war? If you look at the bigger picture and suspend your judgment you will perceive things differently.

~me

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:56 am

Tavington was fighting for many things-the Crown, restoration of his reputation, and hopefully rewards of his own. He had nothing left back in England. And toward the end, Cornwallis made it clear that he wanted Martin any way he could get him. That gave Tav the incentive to do what he had to do.

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 pm

Angel Tavington wrote:Tavington's brutality shocked me ar first but after seeing this movie a few times I came to the conclusion that he did what he did simply because he believed he was acting right. And now I ask: is there morality in the context of war? If you look at the bigger picture and suspend your judgment you will perceive things differently.

~me
Very well said. That and his brutality is just a war removed from Benjamin's own actions, which were as systematic and disgusting, actually really worse. That part is one I really would rather wasn't in the movie honestly. It's like ok Mr. Stumpersons, you have your Wayne's World Oscar Clip moments, your 'I really want to be in a slasher movie' moments and everything else. I'd vote pulling that scene and putting "Wait for my Order" back in so we can have more fluffy shirt/loose hair goodness.

I really wish DVDs came with a programmable scene feature... Oooooh man I would have fun with that. :shock:

And really it boils down to this: War makes monsters of the most ordinary of people, no matter when or where it occurs...

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:24 pm

And really it boils down to this: War makes monsters of the most ordinary of people, no matter when or where it occurs...
Yeah I think in many ways war is like any other survival situation, it brings out your necessary instincts and agression.
I really wish DVDs came with a programmable scene feature... Oooooh man I would have fun with that.
LOL!!

~me

SaraR

Post by SaraR » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm sure that isn't too far away. It'd be a much better investment than 3D tv, that's for sure. :mrgreen:
Of course, I'd probably drive people crazy like well, see actually, Tavington was the hero, and he took care of business.

I'd get looks like :dunce :bat :dunce :rave aaa.gif

:mrgreen:

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 pm

We all see Tavvy as the hero ;)
I mean, Jason is the star of the movie, forget about Mel Gibson!

~me

Return to “Older classics”