Smoking!!

Clamber on up and let fly!

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes, LadyLucius

Heather

Smoking!!

Post by Heather » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:18 pm

My Sister has decided to quit [yet again!] She decided this when she ran out of cigs today and all the shops were closed for the holiday. We don't have smoking anywhere in the UK anymore, anywhere indoors, no pubs, hotels, taxi cabs etc but Sis thought she would try her luck at a local hotel in hopes that they would have a vending machine, she goes to reception and asks the receptionist. Honestly Heather, she said, you would have thought I had just asked him if he had any arsenic so I could poison my children.

I keep telling her it's very 1950's, only really poor people smoke these days and I wouldn't like to question the sanity of anyone who would ignore the SMOKING KILLS and the scary lung disease pictures on the packet.

Good luck to anyone who does smoke and has quitting as a resolution, and if you come round my house I dont care if it's minus 14 outside, out you go, I won't have it in my house sorry!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:28 pm

I agree, Heather, I find it simply indefensible. I understand nicotine's an incredibly addictive drug, but dang, people. It's also the only one I can think of that directly affects others.
It is weird how it's become a drug limited mostly to lower-income people--it's so frakking expensive!! I live in a state where they still grow a lot of tobacco, so there's pressure to keep taxes down; I am shocked by how much other people pay for a pack of smokes.
My mother could never afford to visit the UK, one of her life-long dreams. I tell ya this, she could have gone probably every other year on what she and her husband spent on cigarettes.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:50 pm

What I find most bizzare about my sister smoking is that it was a contributing factor in the death of our dad, My grandma, grandma's brother AND sister in law, and not to mention that one of our uncles smoked so much his narrowed arterys couldn't cope with the blood flow to his legs one of which had to be amputated. As you say Hilary incredibly addictive but I have to admit one of my pet hates is young mothers smoking over their tiny. clean, sweet smelling babies, I could be inclined to physical violence :mad:

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I'm so proud that both my parents managed to quit. My Mom in her late 30s and my Dad in his early 40s. They are now in their 70s and going strong. Of my Mother's family - Grandmother, Grandfather, Aunt and four Uncles, only one Uncle is still alive (he had Prostate cancer but was treated) all died of some form of cancer. Amazingly enough my brothers and I never picked up the smoking habbit although quite a few of my cousins do smoke - several that are my age have already died from smoking - although there are certainly enough warnings from all the deaths in our family. It is a terrible addiction - I so hope your sister can kick the habbit.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:30 pm

Heather, tell your sister not to give up. The first time I stopped for 13 years and started again with a rough stretch in work. Was only smoking 3 or 4 a day but couldn't seem to stop. Then one night I left work, said this is my last one and haven't had one now for 23 years.
The strange thing is why I could stop that night but not the night before? Never give up and Heather you just be there as encouragement. It helps to have someone in your corner.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:17 am

Filthy, deadly habit. Congratulations to all who have quit. Good on yer to all who never started. Hang in there to all who are trying to quit. Heather, let your sister know that there's a bunch of us here in America who support her.

if you come round my house I dont care if it's minus 14 outside, out you go, I won't have it in my house sorry!

My mother knew how I felt, since my dad died of lung cancer, and picked up her smokes and went out on my patio. She later died of breast cancer, but I'm sure smoking didn't help.

mrsmcclnt

Post by mrsmcclnt » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:25 am

My mom is still struggling with her smoking habit. There are these drugs out there that are suppose to help you quit, but I swear the side affects to them do more harm then good.

My mom was taking something called Well-Brutrin to stop her from smoking. But the pill causes marked depression and gives panic attacks. My mom already has a panic disorder so for the doctor to prescribe her this, being fully aware of her anxiety disorder should be justifiable cause for me to beat his ass in. I had to commit my mom to the psych ward for a week cause she had a bad epsiode.

My sister, for some reason, didn't pick up smoking till her mid twenties. For the life of me I don't know why, but she was just lighting up one day like it wasn't nothing.

I and my father don't smoke. My father managed to quit a year after I was born. I never picked up the habit cause... well... I could never inhale. LOL. Crazy as it sounds, I felt like I was wasting a cigarette so I never took up on it.

My daugther thinks smoking is bad and swears my mother will die one day from all the smoking she does. All I can tell her is to pray on it from her grandma's sake.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:41 am

mrsmcclnt wrote:My mom is still struggling with her smoking habit. There are these drugs out there that are suppose to help you quit, but I swear the side affects to them do more harm then good.

My mom was taking something called Well-Brutrin to stop her from smoking. But the pill causes marked depression and gives panic attacks. My mom already has a panic disorder so for the doctor to prescribe her this, being fully aware of her anxiety disorder should be justifiable cause for me to beat his ass in. I had to commit my mom to the psych ward for a week cause she had a bad epsiode.
My sister has tried those patches but she had to stop as she was having really vivid and disturbing dreams which really frightened her, I think it is all going to be down to willpower with her and I know she can do it as she stopped twice before, the second she found she was pregnant with my nephew and niece. She is the only one in our family who does smoke, my mum stopped 31years ago when she was pregnant with Donna [my sister] ironic or what?

Mrs Hook

Post by Mrs Hook » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:16 pm

I hate it when young people (well people my age lol) smoke because THEY THINK IT'S COOL. :mad:

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

What's cool about sucking on arsenic and formaldehyde . . . which give a kick to the nicotine? :scratch

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Regardless of how long you've stopped there are times when you just feel like lighting one up. Not often, Just occasionally.

a.p.k.

Post by a.p.k. » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:00 pm

grannybear wrote:Regardless of how long you've stopped there are times when you just feel like lighting one up. Not often, Just occasionally.
That's no joke. I quit 15 years ago, after 15+ years of smoking, and I still want one occasionally. Rare, but it happens. I only started drinking coffee again about two years ago, after having quit coffee cold turkey the same day I quit smoking cigarettes, because the two are just totally intertwined in my mind. Could've never imagined a cup of coffee without a cigarette back then.

What's freaky to me, though, is I still have 'smoking dreams,' where I'm smoking in my dreams, and will occasionally wake up from one of them feeling like I've just had a cigarette.

My DH quit ten years before me, so that's 25 years ago, and he also still has 'smoking dreams.'

Way beyond 'natural addiction,' if you ask me.

Mistress

Post by Mistress » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:50 am

My mum won't quit for love or money. My little nan has begged her and offered her quite a large amount of money to stop as proof that she won't quit. I said to my nan I'd stop smoking but she raised her eyebrow at me as I don't smoke anyway but it was worth a shot.
My dad admitted he used to smoke but didn't see the point and had no trouble giving up at all.
MM

Bellatrixie

Re: Smoking!!

Post by Bellatrixie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:59 pm

My grandpa died of lung cancer and another lung disease about 2 years ago. He was smoking almost his whole life and when he finally gave it up it was already too late. My parents don´t smoke, my father used to smoke but he quit when I was two or three years old. My brother sadly picked up the bad habit from my grandpa (he often was provocatively lighting up his cigarettes in front of me and my brother when we were children) and sometimes smokes 2 packs or more a day. I've never even touched a cigarette and I never will.

Lisabella

Re: Smoking!!

Post by Lisabella » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Horrible habit. And too hard too quit once you begun. I've been smoking for two years now but it's time I try to quit. There's nobody in the family smoking but many of my friends so it's realls hard to refuse when you're out with them. But I'll make it. Can't stand the idea of kinda burning my money :D
Could also burn it in the garden and broil some marshmallows and sausages :D

Return to “The Bitch Box”