BBC Trailer

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Re: BBC Trailer

Post by laurielove » Sun May 01, 2011 11:08 am

inamac wrote:Hmm. Now I understand why Mark Kermode was so taken aback by Mr I's physique during the Shetland film festival - I never believed the crack about Cuprinol at the time.

*Wanders of to find the relevant podcast*
I remember that and thinking - Hmmm ... curious. Now we know.

Cuprinol. Yes. *giggling*

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun May 01, 2011 11:34 am

LOL!! Brill, Laurielove!!! Thanks for sharing those with us!

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Sun May 01, 2011 1:37 pm

laurielove wrote:
RoseannaLara wrote:
If a bloke with THAT good a physique came home to me everyday I dont think I would have much reason to complain, I am sure his Wife doesnt either. :D

Roseanna x
I'm sure not ... as long as the dishwasher is as well-stacked as his pecs ... :cool:
Well..... when you put it like that hon, I see your point ;-)
Roseanna x.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun May 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Helen8 wrote:. . . that shirtless hunk with his arm behind his head in the upper right is Alex O'Loughlin, my other guilty pleasure.
Yeah! He's pretty good. Like this version of Hawaii 5-0. Lot's of fun.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sun May 01, 2011 9:17 pm

Well, we all prefer Jason but that doesn't prevent us from looking over the field. Makes us appreciate him more.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 02, 2011 4:48 am

'Our Jason ...

... eh oop, lad ...there be trooble oop mill.'

I don't imagine many people will get this. Never mind. It made me giggle and my mind works in mysterious ways.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 02, 2011 9:08 am

Our Jason ...

... eh oop, lad ...there be trooble oop mill.'

Care to explain it?
Umm ... I fear the humour will be lost (or rather annihilated) in the long-winded explanation. Well, I know it will, but ... it would be rude not to, wouldn't it? So, here goes ...

In the north of England, it is traditionally accepted, if complete crap, that people prefix the names of friends and family with 'our' - it's a term of endearment. For example: 'Eh, lad, our Mildred makes a fine cup of tea' - or 'Our Rosie has filled out a bit since Aunty Marge's wedding, hasn't she?' - or 'Ooh, is that a ferret down your trousers, our Tony?' - all typical phrases that you would hear if you were to walk the streets of Sheffield. (Well ... maybe not ...)

Anyway, the phrase ''trooble oop mill' (because it has to be said with that sort of accent, but translated means - There is trouble with a certain aspect of the running of the mill, a prominent and enduring feature of the north where the Industrial Revolution began) is a really stock phrase associated with 'th'indoostrial nahth' (The Industrial North) I doubt anyone ever said it, but it has slipped into the stuff of legend (eg see Monty Python).

When I read 'our Jason' I just read it with a northern accent and that's what I put. I'm afraid it's a very English thing and I'm being facetious. Sorry. Ignore me, really.

See? Not funny anymore. (If it ever was.)

Please read this post with a heavy, heavy dose of irony or preferably not at all if you're not English or if you're from the north.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:27 am

thanx very much for that translation...:hug

I think it's fabulous that we can all gather here, being fans of Jason, from all over the world,
with such diverse backgrounds...gives us something in common, and opens up avenues of
friendship

I listen to Kermode/Mayo and I have to admit, most of what they say is lost on this American :shock:

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 02, 2011 9:42 am

kjshd05 wrote:thanx very much for that translation...:hug

I think it's fabulous that we can all gather here, being fans of Jason, from all over the world,
with such diverse backgrounds...gives us something in common, and opens up avenues of
friendship
You're welcome. :yip

And thanks for being so tolerant of my warped sense of humour.

I agree - Jason - actor, producer, voice talent extraordinaire, family man, wearer of wigs, fit bloke ultra extraordinaire and - UNITER OF THE WORLD! :woot

(OK - I really am going to shut up now.)

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 am

Where does he find time to work out. COWABUNGA, he looks scrumptious. :adore Thanks for the sreencaps. *moppingupmyowndroolhere*

~ML :hands

inamac

Post by inamac » Mon May 02, 2011 12:05 pm

If you read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, the character of Nanny Ogg frequently refers to her eldest son, the blacksmith as 'Our Jason' - throws me every time.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:34 pm

I thought it was a quote from North and South. Now that you mention Monty Python, I'm sure I heard some'ut like that, too.

We can have more than one guilty pleasure. There are many Richard Armitrage and Alan Rickman fans on board, eh? Doesn't make us like Jason any less. :D

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 02, 2011 2:24 pm

How do you do multiple quotes? :???:

Anyway, yes, I remember it from a Monty Python sketch, but we say it a lot in our house too for some random reason lost in the mists of time ...

And yeah - we need to give poor Jason a rest occasionally by sampling the delights of other, lesser males ... ;-)

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Mon May 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Helen8 wrote:I thought it was a quote from North and South. Now that you mention Monty Python, I'm sure I heard some'ut like that, too.

We can have more than one guilty pleasure. There are many Richard Armitrage and Alan Rickman fans on board, eh? Doesn't make us like Jason any less. :D

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Just got back from a week of meetings. Thanks to Laurielove and fruitbat.

This one needs to be bigger, LOL

I made a page for the trailer HERE.

Return to “Case Histories”