Jason to star in BBC Drama (based on Kate Atkinson Books)

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Re: Jason to star in BBC Drama (based on Kate Atkinson Books

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:44 pm

It was kinda buried at the bottom of an article that was all about the NON-scripted stuff--

I bet JI could knock out two 30-minute scripts a day before breakfast, as many as he's seen.

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm

I just recently read Case Histories, and I caught a bit of Brodie's dialogue I thought was amusing:
"I'm sorry. She's delusional. She thinks she's a woman."
I LOL. My sister didn't have a clue what I was laughing about til I told her.

~ML :lol :mrgreen:

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Tue May 17, 2011 11:16 am

Finally bought all the books and have read the first two in two days.

Bloody hell! That woman can write. I thought Case Histories was just so incredibly well-observed, nuanced and so so human. Usual cliches coming, sorry - I laughed, cried, worried etc ... such outstanding writing.

And as for Jackson Brodie... I am in love (along with all the other women who meet him - at least in the first two books). And to think that he will be portrayed by J ... I'm not sure the body or soul will be able to cope next month!

I am really intrigued as to how they are going to translate these into TV dramas though - kudos to the screenwriters - I'm sure it was pretty tricky - so many time issues and internal thought processes. Most of the characters are presented through internal observation - not an easy task for an actor. I hope they will be able to make the characters as vivid on screen as they are on the page (I have no doubt Jason will).

I found the first two books very different. CH appealed very much to the female in me whereas OGT seemed more masculine and more conventional in mystery subject matter. CH I hardly regarded as a mystery at all, merely an exploration of humanity and family.

They both had a lot of humour in which just made me laugh aloud, OGT especially.

Getting so excited about the series!! :wheee

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:15 am

Nothing on BBCOne website yet. And the air date is in a few weeks!! NBC is doing a little better with Awake materials.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Maybe they don't think they need to advertise it, because everyone will be watching anyway...? :D

I wish they would release some pics or clips soon... maybe a trailer? :stirrer
I'm curious!

inamac

Post by inamac » Fri May 20, 2011 3:48 am

The BBC has a very strong drama line up this year, and I expect that they're taking each one in order as it comes. Currently we are getting plugs for The Shadow Line which started, without much fanfare, two weeks ago. I'm sure that Case Histories will get a major feature article in Radio Times the week it starts (and if we're very lucky we may even get the cover... fingers crossed.)

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Fri May 20, 2011 10:54 am

inamac wrote:The BBC has a very strong drama line up this year, and I expect that they're taking each one in order as it comes. Currently we are getting plugs for The Shadow Line which started, without much fanfare, two weeks ago. I'm sure that Case Histories will get a major feature article in Radio Times the week it starts (and if we're very lucky we may even get the cover... fingers crossed.)
I'm already hopping up and down in anticipation of the possible RT cover, and at least a feature - easy! Bit disappointed that they didn't have more on it in their recent detective/cop run-down. Like you said, the BBC is awash with new dramas at the moment - they are taking them one at a time.

inamac

Post by inamac » Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Well, Radio Times has to have the occasional non-Dr Who cover... (Also, I am remembering that they have this 'cover stars party' which is usually good for a drool.)

The State Within feature was so good that I have high hopes of Case Histories (The BBC is also linking the series in with its 'Book Season' features).

And then there is Alison Graham - who is One Of Us and will not allow anything with a whiff of JI onto the UK screens without a restrained squee.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Alison Graham - who is One Of Us
Yippee! And in a position to do something positive about it. :woot

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Jason's fan club is growing :cool: he doesn't get older, he's getting better :woot

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sat May 21, 2011 5:52 am

inamac wrote:Well, Radio Times has to have the occasional non-Dr Who cover... (Also, I am remembering that they have this 'cover stars party' which is usually good for a drool.)

The State Within feature was so good that I have high hopes of Case Histories (The BBC is also linking the series in with its 'Book Season' features).

And then there is Alison Graham - who is One Of Us and will not allow anything with a whiff of JI onto the UK screens without a restrained squee.
Ah yes - the RT Cover Stars Party!! Fingers crossed. Alison Graham always seems to latch onto the lust objects other people miss out on (or at least take longer to cotton onto) - she was always very pro-Gene Hunt. Good woman. I have to confess I am LOVING this week's RT cover with Benedict Cumberbatch AND Matt Smith both looking rather delightful. (Forgive me if I stray very occasionally from the distractions of Mr I - you know it never lasts long.)

Not a long wait for CH now. :wheee

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat May 21, 2011 11:43 am

I have to confess I am LOVING this week's RT cover with Benedict Cumberbatch AND Matt Smith both looking rather delightful. (Forgive me if I stray very occasionally from the distractions of Mr I - you know it never lasts long.)

Not a long wait for CH now. :wheee
I had to google that cover, Laurie. I am patiently waiting for tonight's episode of Doctor Who and will likely spend far too much time reading the Guardian's blog about it.

Meanwhile, waiting for CH.......

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sat May 21, 2011 3:53 pm

fruitbat wrote:
I had to google that cover, Laurie. I am patiently waiting for tonight's episode of Doctor Who and will likely spend far too much time reading the Guardian's blog about it.

Meanwhile, waiting for CH.......
I confess to having this issue lying face up with the cover showing and not open at the page for the day's listings ...

I missed Doctor Who tonight! iPlayer here I come.

Less than a month until CH!

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Tue May 24, 2011 11:11 am

inamac wrote:
Is this the same Alison Graham? She is tweeting about Case Histories: :woot

http://twitter.com/#!/TVAlisonGraham/st ... 7426712576

http://twitter.com/#!/TVAlisonGraham/st ... 9574667264

And Jason Isaacs is an excellent Jackson Brodie - the fact that he removes his shirt a lot hasn't coloured my judgement one little bit.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Tue May 24, 2011 12:18 pm

...LOL, thanx thunder :hug

retweeted both :cool:

Return to “Case Histories”