Review

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Review

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:10 am

True enough, Char. It was.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:19 am

I think The State Within was a BBCAmerica production. (Case Histories is BBC Scottland, I think)

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:42 am

Grannybear please check your PM :)

(no this is not a conspiracy LOL)

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:00 am

Char and kj Message received. Thank you. Did not show new message on user control.

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 am

I just sent the message give it a few minutes I will stay on and await your reply :)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:02 pm

Maybe the different cable companies show different features.

gb, you may be right about that. Curious though that the cable companies wouldn't show more British fare on BBC America. After all, that's what we here want the station for. :?:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Regarding BBC Am possibly showing CH, I think it's better to get the dvd. Here's why:

Each episode is one hour long, right? I think that BBC Am would likely do to this show what it did to North and South. Each ep of N&S was also one hour long. According to my American friends, when BBC Am broadcast N&S, they showed it in a one-hour time slot with commercials; some very important scenes were cut.

I think CH is so tightly written that it wouldn't bear up well with such cuts.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Andre Collins liked it.

click

(I followed Andrew Collins for a while on twitter. Don't know why Image )

LadyLucius

Post by LadyLucius » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 am

The guardian newspaper has a video review http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/video ... NETTXT3486.

Several snippets of Jason, one with his shirt off. Yum.

It is the first segment on the video 0-2.30 minutes.

LL

kjshd05

Post by kjshd05 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 am

thanx LL, really enjoyed this review :woot

OK, this review I can't tell if it's good, or not...last paragraph of the article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:12 pm

kjshd05 wrote:thanx LL, really enjoyed this review :woot

OK, this review I can't tell if it's good, or not...last paragraph of the article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... eview.html
That's just a non-review, which is better than a bad review, I suppose. I thought the ending worked really well - they were hardly sex scenes, there were just four different people coming to terms with tragedy and seeking comfort in each other (well, in two pairs, not all together!). The only sex was a bit of nip twirling (jealous, yes).

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:30 pm

This one is very funny:

Rewind TV
(British wmen) shuggling forward on hands and knees to actually lick the TV screen with lust.
(Jackson Brodie)....willing to sweat at digging an animal grave; unwillingly caught in Natasha's kitchen stripping off to wash himself down: you could feel half the knee-tendons of Britain a-tremble (I mean the female half; not that everyone had just one knee trembling. That would just be weird).
:mrgreen:

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Chari910 wrote:This one is very funny:

Rewind TV
(British wmen) shuggling forward on hands and knees to actually lick the TV screen with lust.
(Jackson Brodie)....willing to sweat at digging an animal grave; unwillingly caught in Natasha's kitchen stripping off to wash himself down: you could feel half the knee-tendons of Britain a-tremble (I mean the female half; not that everyone had just one knee trembling. That would just be weird).
:mrgreen:
I'd bet there are a few males who fall into this category too. Image

From Char's link:
Oh, there were quibbles. Quite how a struggling ex-cop PI in Edinburgh affords fine Georgian offices at the top of Victoria Street and a gorgeous mews flat in the country.....
I've read a lot of comments about how Jackson wouldn't be able to afford his office and home; welcome to the land of TV, folks. Show me one programme where the apartment/house doesn't seem to be huge compared to real life.

grannybear

Post by grannybear » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Why is anyone surprised?

We all knew his appeal from way back.

The rest of the world is just very slow.

Chari910
Multimedia Maven

Post by Chari910 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:06 pm

I burst out laughing at this one:
Jackson Brodie himself, who was of course another complete nutter who was trying to do the right thing. I loved his exercise regime, too: running like a mad man before settling down with a nice cigarette.

If he doesn’t drop down dead before the next series, he might get chased by Social Services for taking his six-year-old daughter to crime scenes, some of which he had created himself.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/252 ... z1P1kMqMJC
One more:
And as for Jackson Brodie. Well, a healthy red-blooded woman wouldn’t normally admit to this – but he’s just too good looking.

Having said that, most healthy red-blooded women could – and will – get used to smoulderingly handsome Jason Isaacs (pictured) quite quickly.

After all, there can’t be a lot wrong with a man who runs for fitness – and lights up a ciggie immediately afterwards.

Return to “Case Histories”