Sky Atlantic HD had acquired Awake

This is a TV series about a police officer after a fatal car crash killed either his son or his wife. He lives in two realities. One where his son survived the accident, and one where his wife survived. He doesn't know which is the real one, and he doesn't want to know. It aired on NBC, and was cancelled after one season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

belladisordine

Sky Atlantic HD had acquired Awake

Post by belladisordine » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 am

Not really sure if this is a uk channel or what, but I just read this article & thought I would share : http://skyatlantic.sky.com/awake/critic ... c?DCMP=SNT

fruitbat

Re: Sky Atlantic HD had acquired Awake

Post by fruitbat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 pm

We need someone from the UK to confirm but I think Sky Atlantic is the Murdoch-owned channel that also shows Mad Men. Before the current season (5) came out, I read a lot of online articles about it in UK papers. Half of the comments were that they refused to have Sky because of Murdoch and were pissed off at the papers from promoting anything to do with Murdoch. I don't know how many people in the UK will actually get to see it.

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Hallelujah!

Well, I'm happy.

Basically, if you have satellite in the UK you'll see it (not sure how it works for the rest of Europe, but presuming they can too). Luckily, due to my husband's predilection for cricket, which is now only available on Sky, we have it, but, sadly, many households do not. It's not on terrestrial TV.

Better than nothing, but Channel 4 would have been better.

They say it airs in the spring ... err ... it is spring ... I don't see it airing yet.

kjshd05
Data Miner, east coast division

Post by kjshd05 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:12 am

Just read this on twitter...Awake premieres Friday May 4th at 10 pm!

inamac

Post by inamac » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that there is a Region 2 DVD in due course (no way I'm giving any money to Murdock). Pretty much guarantees low viewing figures in the UK. Sky's main audience is 16-34 year old men - who pay to watch sport. They've been trying to woo the female audience with US programming like Mad Men, and I suppose this is why they've bought Awake.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Well sometimes that works.... I signed up for Showtime just to see Brotherhood (admitedly I also got hooked on Dexter after getting Showtime) but I cancelled Showtime when Brotherhood got cancelled. Just could not see paying all that money to watch one show. I've bought the Dexter DVDs since then.

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for the information Kim.

Roseanna x

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:29 pm

laurielove wrote:
Better than nothing, but Channel 4 would have been better.
I was hoping for 5USA (Given that the BBC is only buying European Police procedurals these days). But I do have a Region 1 DVD player so all is not lost (does anyone know when the US DVD is due out?)

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:35 pm

At this point, Amazon is still selling individual episodes for download. As it gets closer to airing the final episode that was filmed, we may hear of a date for the DVD.

inamac

Post by inamac » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Confirmed by this week's Guardian (ironically on Friday 13th) : http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/ap ... sfeed=true

Kiss of death for the series in the UK. We just have to hope that the next series of Case Histories gets off the ground.

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I don't know when the DVD would be out- perhaps not for a couple of months after the last set of episodes (generally, it takes about a month or two before the DVDs appear for movies and various TV shows). I've been watching NBC and then buying my episodes off of iTunes. :roll:

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:36 pm

Apologies if this has already been stated.

For those of us in the UK, Awake airs Friday 4th May at 10pm.

RoseannaLara x

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:55 pm

Not a bad thing to mention it again - you guys should be excited RoseannaLara - you will love the show!

RoseannaLara

Post by RoseannaLara » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Thanks Marie. I just hope they give it the chance that it deserves and submit a second season.

RoseannaLara x

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:37 pm

I was hoping that if the UK picked it up, it would give the NBC execs a wake up kick in the...err...(well, we all get the idea), and they would get the hint and renew it (as they seem to be quite s-l-o-w on the uptake). I will hang on to that idea for a little while longer- after all- de-nile ain't just a river in Egypt. :???:

Return to “Awake”