Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Based on the popular and critically acclaimed novels by Kate Atkinson, this mini-series was shot on location in Edinburgh and was quickly followed by a second season.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Post by thunder » Wed May 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Some spoilers (if you would like to not know anything)

http://networkedblogs.com/Lg1AG
Isaacs brings a fine quality of crumpled heroism to Brody, mixed with a dash of recklessness.
Case Histories is a distinctive drama with great characters – and far more enjoyable than most formulaic cop procedurals filling the TV schedules.
:woot

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Re: Case Histories 2 reviews

Post by Helen8 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks, thunder. I listened to the CD a while ago, so it was good to get a refresher. So looking forward to seeing it here . . . whenever.

Angel Tavington

Post by Angel Tavington » Wed May 15, 2013 5:48 pm

I don't mind spoilers at all. I can't wait for it!

~me

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun May 19, 2013 1:57 pm

This has a lot of SPOILERS from episode 1:
http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/case ... -the-show/

But it's a good review!
Overall I found this first episode of Case Histories to be very enjoyable indeed. It was a well-acted, well-paced piece of crime drama which never took itself too seriously. There were great performances from both Isaacs and Wood while Peter Harness’ script built up the story perfectly. Case Histories is definitely one of the better crime dramas currently on TV and I’m hoping that this three-part series will be a success so we get even more from Jackson Brodie in the future.
:woot

wolfsaver

Post by wolfsaver » Sun May 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Wow, I'll really have to pay attention to keep up with all of this!

laurielove
Location: Probably somewhere in a ruggedly fandabydozy part of England

Post by laurielove » Sun May 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Can I put my review here? :bag:

OK, I'll be honest, I was desperate to like the first series, and I did very much, but I always felt as if I was slightly willing myself to like it. Not so this time.

I absolutely and very genuinely adored it, and Jackson Brodie is just completely and utterly wonderful and infuriating and just makes you want to hug, thump and do ... various other things to him, all at the same time. And it's all thanks to Mr I. It's an incredible performance, and I'm not just saying that because of this forum. Great script, great characters, and he brings Jackson to life so empathetically and effectively. I feel this far more strongly than I did with the first series.

It's a complicated story with lots of interconnected threads (but that's what the stories are about) so you have to concentrate. I will admit to finding the accents a little too thick at times - they were not easy on the ear, let's say, and did require considerable concentration. But at least it'll keep the people who moaned about the lack of Scottish accents last time happy. They can't bloody complain this time! Victoria Wood was fantastic, as was all the cast. There's a great scene with Amanda Abbington at the end which is just heart-breaking and so very real. Oh, Jackson ...

That, I believe will be a refrain heard/said many times. I kept muttering it at the screen - 'Oh, Jackson ...' He does get himself in some right pickles, the silly boy.

Loved, loved, loved it and can't wait for next week.

thunder

Post by thunder » Sun May 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Of course you can post it here, where else? :D

I just watched it too... it went surprisingly well (except for some minor buffering issues). I can just agree with everything Laurielove said. It's amazing, and I think the 90 min format is better. I felt like It got darker as well, with Jackson operating on the wrong side of the law - even if he means it well. Can't really see him getting away with it. I also liked that they didn't overuse the flash backs like last season.

Anything more? Yes,more Scottish accent... I did follow the dialog, but glad I'll be seeing it subtitled on Tuesday.

laurielove

Re: Case Histories 2 reviews - SPOILERS!!!

Post by laurielove » Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

As for the visuals ...

:adore , to say the least.

The eyes have it, to the right, left, or wherever the hell else they happen to be looking. He looks so bloomin' phenomenal it is breath-stealing. Even with half his face smashed in he looks incredible. In fact, when he's beaten up, he looks more incredible than ever. His eyes positively pulsate friggin' luminosity.

No shirtlessness this week. I await the shirtlessness with anticipation and much girding of the loins.

*sigh* I've recently been discussing the concept of attraction with a friend at work - why is it exactly that women respond in a particular way to a particular man - it can be just a little thing. The case in point was the cuff link adjusting moment that Daniel Craig does in Skyfall when he jumps down into the train. That moment causes women everywhere inexplicably but simultaneously to have sort of mini hormone apocalypses. Same with Jason as Jackson when he's beaten up and looking all 'Oh, fuck, I've done it again'. Hormone mini-apocalypse. In a good way.

Sorry for the verbal spewing. That's what Jackson does to me.

servalan

Post by servalan » Sun May 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I too have just watched episode 1. I enjoyed it - Jackson gets repeatedly beaten up in this one, and his bruises get worse as the show goes on. No shirtless scenes in this one unfortunately. I always enjoy scene spotting in Edinburgh, and in the actual show he does not sit on any steps with the wee dog, so the publicity photo is just that, and the location of those steps will remain an educated best guess.

There was a scene right at the beginning that, as far as I can recall, was not in the book, set in Munich, where Jackson was involved in something very shady. It remained unresolved at the end of the show, so I think it must be something that crops up again the next episode(s), as they will be totally from the scripwriters' pens (although from various trailers, I deduce they are using bits of Kate's first three books that they left out or changed in the first series, e.g. Louise's new husband).

The accents were not a problem for me. The muttering and lack of articulation by various characters were. So I put the subtitles on. Interestingly, they even wrote most of the German dialogue out in full.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Sun May 19, 2013 5:56 pm

servalan wrote:
The accents were not a problem for me. The muttering and lack of articulation by various characters were. So I put the subtitles on. Interestingly, they even wrote most of the German dialogue out in full.
You're right. There were some diction issues. I guess that's what I was finding more than the accents themselves. It wasn't too bad though. Some of the dialogue sounds semi-improvised in places so the speech patterns are very genuine and natural - sometimes this can lead to a lack of clarity. I remember it being quite an issue in the first series and I sort of blamed the sound engineers. It wasn't so bad this time, but it concerns me a little for viewers outside the UK. Ah well, like you did - just put the subtitles on. Problem solved!

I didn't find it a problem with Jason's dialogue at all though, which *cough* :oops: I did a little in the last series. Could hear him crystal clear this time, Yorkshire burr and all. Voice Lust. :cool:

CaseHistories

Post by CaseHistories » Sun May 19, 2013 6:27 pm

I just watched it from across the pond. For the first time ever, I was motivated enough to look into getting around the region block. And it worked. Great episode, I was not disappointed. I found it funny how Jackson kept trying to give the dog away. I was hoping he would go sit on those mysterious steps with the dog. I said mysterious for I am still trying to find out the name of those steps. Looking forward to receiving the DVD so I can watch again, with subtitles!
I hope JI will keep making Case Histories. It's early yet, but I just don't see how the Surgeon General can be as exciting as Jackson Brodie :D

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Sun May 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Omg, just finished watching it! It took a long time as there was an unplanned dinner out, then buffering issues, then because the buffering ate up so much time- a Game of Thrones break, and then back - but then the buffering issues miraculously stopped. Whew! I'm really glad I...uh...well...came up with a solution so that I could watch it. The buffering issues were so bad in the first third that they turned the first 35 minutes into an hour and a half! :^O

Wonderful! Just wonderful. Yep. Still in love with Jackson even with all of his committment issues. Boy, was he a real...errm... ****** in the last scene with Louise (and she gave him just what he deserved, too). How does that man manage to make black eyes totally hot? Seriously - even when he looks like a ghoul, he's still pretty darn cute. I have to admit, however, the urge to give him a good shake him in regards to Louise was overwhelming. Pfffft. Men are so stupid sometimes (even fictional ones).

The Munich episode is in the book, but in the book it is handled a little differently (I think it's more subtle in the book). I also put the subtitles on (I'm usually pretty good with accents, but between the buffering and some of the other actors' Scottish accents, I just went the easy route). It definitely helped with the German (I can't speak German, but I can read a little bit, and it was more helpful to me that way).

LL, you have "Oh, Jackson." I have "poor Jackson." lol. (Oh yes, that Daniel Craig scene with the train and the cuff-link...oh yes, I know what your friend means...lol)

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon May 20, 2013 1:41 am

Found some other reviews:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 22799.html

http://metro.co.uk/2013/05/20/sluggish- ... g-3783396/
Anyone who didn’t have kids was messed up by it – life a barren and hollow shell, sob – and those who did were riven by guilt at the mess they’d made of the whole child-rearing process. Seriously, it should have come with a health warning – do not enter here unless you’re a fully paid-up, card-carrying member of the CBBC.
I'm usually thinking everyone is entitled their own opinion. But what have the Metro reviewer been smoking?

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 20, 2013 2:16 am

Here's The Guardian review. http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... -tv-review

And The Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... um=twitter

Hmm. Mixed, to say the least. I know where they're coming from, but, oddly, I think the public will forgive the complications due to the overall tone and performances. I'm optimistic for some healthy viewing figures. It will be very interesting to see what the next two are like as these have not been adapted from the books and are original. In a way, it would have been good if they could have kicked the series off.

laurielove

Post by laurielove » Mon May 20, 2013 3:54 am

Apparently Case Histories got 4.9 million viewers (20.8%).

British Soap Awards with 5.7 million (24.9%) in first place.

Not bad. About the same as the last series, although it would have been nice to have tipped over 5 million.

Return to “Case Histories”