Just saw A Monster Calls . . .

Home to off-topic discussions or Jason news that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Just saw A Monster Calls . . .

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:15 pm

. . . last night. It's a tear jerker but well worth seeing for the great performances and special effects. Even my DH teared up.

A boy (Lewis Macdougall—excellent young actor), whose mother (Felicity Jones—also excellent)) is going through cancer treatment, begins to have nightmares involving a HUGE yew tree that he sees from his bedroom window. In the nightmare, the tree (voiced by Liam Neeson) comes to life (incredible SFX) and taunts the boy into accepting what's coming with his mother. His grandmother (Sigourney Weaver) also has to come to terms with losing her daughter and finally connecting with her grandson.

I highly recommend it.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: Just saw A Monster Calls . . .

Post by thunder » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:10 pm

I've been wondering about going to see this. Rememeber the audion book being very good. Very emotional story...

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi,

I listened to the audio book, which was excellent, but so sad (plus, my mom is a breast cancer survivor). I'm not sure I can do the movie... maybe at home with a huge box of tissues and a teddy bear to hug.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm not sure I can do the movie... maybe at home with a huge box of tissues and a teddy bear to hug.

That could work, LS. :hug

servalan

Post by servalan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 pm

I just went to see it. It is very sad, and I shed a tear at the end, but I really enjoyed it. The combination of live action, artwork and CGI is very clever. The "Monster" tells stories, and they are all shown as watercolour book illustrations.

The boy had never acted before - he was excellent. I have always loved Liam Neeson's voice. Felicity Jones just seems to go from strength to strength - and to think I used to listen to her in a radio soap for years before she went to Hollywood.

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Post by thunder » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:34 pm

Looks like it's not on my local cinema anymore... Will wait for the DVD and do what LadyS suggested.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

The boy had never acted before

Well, that makes his performance even more spectacular. :yip

LadySekhmet

Post by LadySekhmet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks! Have teddy bear and tissues - I'm ready!

I love Liam Neeson's voice. And I bet the combo of the live action and the watercolors is really fab. I loved that part in the last HP movie when Hermione tells the story of the Deathly Hallows, which is illustrated while she's speaking. I thought that was a nice combo.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:21 pm

LadySekhmet wrote:Hi,

I listened to the audio book, which was excellent, but so sad (plus, my mom is a breast cancer survivor). I'm not sure I can do the movie... maybe at home with a huge box of tissues and a teddy bear to hug.
I think I could only watch a movie like this at home, by myself.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:50 pm

(plus, my mom is a breast cancer survivor

LS, I didn't want to see Sophie's Choice, which came out soon after my mother died of breast cancer. I waited about three years to see it. I sobbed uncontrollably in my living room after we find out what the choice was she had to make. So, you might want to wait to see Monster.

However, if you do decide to see Monster now, sniffles emanated from the entire theater along with me, so you wouldn't be alone.

Return to “General Forum”