New project: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS)

Jason plays Captain Lorca in this new Star Trek series, premiering on September 24. 2017.

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: New project: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS)

Post by thunder » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:22 am

It's already listed on Netflix (in Norway, at least)... but I don't know how long we in "the rest of the world" needs to wait before we get to see it.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:23 pm

servalan wrote:I hope I am going to be able to see this easily in the UK! I love Star Trek, and will be gutted if I can't see a combination of Jason & ST.
I've been trying to stop myself from seeing Jason with Vulcan ears, (which is dopey as he's not playing a Vulcan).

servalan

Post by servalan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:34 pm

Illogical, Ms Fruitbat! ;-)

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I hope he gets to do his natural British accent. If he doesn't I wonder what kind of US accent he will have to adopt?

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:54 pm

servalan wrote:Illogical, Ms Fruitbat! ;-)
That's me :D

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:03 pm

In the old days, we could share home-recorded disks with one another, but we're on a DVR now with no capability to do that. :-(
Well, anyone who wants can come watch at my house, how's that!
(Marie, I had a school friend who was such a Star Trek nerd that--pre-internet--she knew all the episodes, their year of production, and at what point in the season they'd been recorded. She could tell by the size of William Shatner's tum--he'd start svelte, bulk up a bit, then start chaffing and drop a few pounds. :lol )

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:35 pm

And look at him now! Sad.

servalan

Post by servalan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 am

Here's a piece of trivia for the Star Trek nerds. The fictional Scotty was born in Linlithgow in Scotland, which is not so far from me. (Linlithgow's main claim to fame is that it is the birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots at Linlithgow Palace, which is a ruin you can look around.) Scotty has a mention in the local Linlithgow museum at Annet House, and in 2007 James Doohan's widow opened a commemorative plaque there.

Last year they had another Scotty event, a special showing of The Wrath of Khan at the palace:
http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cultu ... -1-4209427

Marie

Post by Marie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 am

Boy Hilary you read my mind about the DVR. Used to be so easy to make a copy for a bud that did not have access. Um - I used to know all the titles - but I'm afraid some of those little gray cells have died off.

For a guy his age Shatner is in OK shape (better shape than Trump!) That is the tragedy of being a film or TV star. People always remember you from the good looking man or woman they saw in days gone by!

I adored James Doohan! At least he did not have to fake an accent like poor Walter Koenig.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:03 am

At least he did not have to fake an accent like poor Walter Koenig.

Actually, he did. He was Canadian. In a 1982 visit to Britain, DH and I went to a theater in England to see Wrath of Khan during the opening week. (Didn't want to wait till we returned to the states.) Every time Scotty spoke, the audience would roar with laughter, whether what he said was funny or not. Halfway through the movie, I asked the fellow sitting next to me why everyone laughed at Scotty. He replied, "His Scots accent is crap!" As Americans, we couldn't tell. It sounded Scottish to us.

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Oh my gosh how funny. Yes it did sound good to us. I did meet James Doohan at an early Star Trek Convention and do remember he did not have any discernable accent when he spoke. Some kids around me said - "that doesn't even sound like Scotty".

Also met Walter Koenig, Nichelle Nichols and DeForest Kelley, but the person I loved meeting the most was George Takei - he was a genuine nice guy. Really had fun talking with people and making sure to stop and take pictures with the attendees and give autographs! (Back in the "OLD" days no one charged for an autograph or a picture!) He is such a kind person - I absolutely adore him!

servalan

Post by servalan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:06 pm

James Doohan was always well received by Scottish Trekkies when he visited Scotland. He opened a Star Trek exhibition in Edinburgh that I remember visiting in the 90s. (I didn't go to the opening, just saw him on TV.)

A lot of Canadians are of Scottish descent - they do have Nova Scotia after all - although Doohan is an Irish name.

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:03 pm

Helen8 wrote:At least he did not have to fake an accent like poor Walter Koenig.

Actually, he did. He was Canadian.....
How did I not know this?
Shatner is promoting Montreal's 375 birthday. It's competing with Canada as we are celebrating out 150th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXYDmfUNpcw
servalan wrote:James Doohan was always well received by Scottish Trekkies when he visited Scotland. He opened a Star Trek exhibition in Edinburgh that I remember visiting in the 90s. (I didn't go to the opening, just saw him on TV.)

A lot of Canadians are of Scottish descent - they do have Nova Scotia after all - although Doohan is an Irish name.
Three out of the ten finalists in the CBC contest, "The Greatest Canadian" were born in Scotland, including the man who got my vote, Tommy Douglas. :D

Marie

Post by Marie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:09 pm

All my Grandparents were from Canada. From my father's side they were of Scottish descent. Love me my Scotts!

fruitbat

Post by fruitbat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 am

Marie wrote:I hope he gets to do his natural British accent. If he doesn't I wonder what kind of US accent he will have to adopt?
After the discussion on this thread I am hearing him with a Scots accent. Again, illogical.

Return to “Star Trek: Discovery”