Event Horizon!

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

Malfoy Grandma

Event Horizon!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:22 am

:roll: In my pursuit of seeing all JI's film work, I just bought the double DVD edition of Event Horizon. As I like this sort of film, I knew I would enjoy it, and of course I did. But this film has an extra newly cut DVD of all the people such as director, producer, art folks, and Jason all talking about various aspects of the movie. JI is the only actor so used, and is very good in long talks about the production, about the whole process, and about various things he did. This extra disc is really worth the price of the movie. He explains using his brother, who is a doctor, as the basis of his character, and that is very interesting. Lots of other good talk. I think I'll probably watch the extra disc at least as much as I watch the movie itself! Some very good commentary by JI about acting choices, and stuff like that.

Malfoy Grandma

Watching with a cult member!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Thanksgiving gave me a houseguest who did not fit into the sleeping arrangements at the main eating station, and on Friday a.m. I asked if he wanted to watch a movie, to awake by. Of all the films in our house, and there are a couple of hundred from cartoons to all of James bond, and all over the map, to my new collection of Jason films. Well, he was being polite and smiling, then suddenly spotted "Event Horizon" and woke up! Wow, he said, and grabbed it! One of my top ten all time favorites! So we sat down away from the rest of the turkey eaters and watched all of the film while he exclaimed and cheered and applauded, and then we watched the second disc which has all the wonderful interviews and production notes, and he watched it TWICE, calling it the best thing he had ever seen, and saying he was going to buy a new dvd just like that so he could memorize the production part. He had never before noted that Jason was in it, and now he says he has become a thorough-going Jasonite! Fun on the day after too much turkey!

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:40 am

I've said this before -- Event Horizon holds a special place in my heart, mainly because it was my first introduction to Jason. Sure, some of the dialogue is a little cliched and the science in parts strains credulity (there's actually a very funny article online that dissects this in detail), but for the most part it delivers on scares, maintains a very disturbing mood and is just downright entertaining -- once you suspend your disbeliefs.

I bought the special director's cut right after it was released and I have to agree with you, MG, that the extra disc alone is worth picking this up. As much as I loved Jason's interviews and the insight he provided, I really would've liked to have heard from the other cast as well.

It was great to finally see all the deleted scenes as well, although after watching the extended hell episode I'm actually kind of glad it didn't make it into the final cut. Cause, dayam! Do we really need that served on a silver platter? I find the old adage "less is more" to be true when it comes to film as well. That is, don't spoon feed your audience everything. Part of what makes good filmmaking, especialy when it comes to horror scenes, are the parts we don't see and what the mind fills in for itself. That's what truly scares us.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it MG, and that you found a soulmate in your Thanksgiving houseguest. Terror is best served when it's shared. :D

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:20 pm

Am a bit of a sci-fi nut and think this film is moving towards the top of my Father Christmas list! :D It sounds a great watch. Missed it at the cinemas first time round, was GCSE exam time or something! LOL

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:51 pm

Quite surprised at missing a good sci-fi film I asked my brother about it (he is quite geeky in this genre...which is cool, because I love it too!) and appaerently I have seen this film! Ah, I could kick myself. He remembers it and I nothing! :oops: lol. Said it was a good film, so have more reasons to see it now.

How many of Jason's films have I seen without realising?! lol, well not realising until a few years after the event. :D
Mind you, brother hadn't realised Jason was in 'Black Hawk Down' either so we're on a draw at the moment.

Malfoy Grandma

Not spotting Jason!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 am

:shock: Once I was an avid Alec Guiness fan and half the fun of watching his fantastic acting was the way he could conceal himself within a character. Sometimes at least a third of the film played and I still couldn't tell my husband which one was Sir Alec! So not noticing him is a real compliment to good acting!

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:48 am

Ah, Alec Guinness and Peter Sellers. Dr. Strangelove, Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (I think!)

Malfoy Grandma

Peter Sellers!

Post by Malfoy Grandma » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:45 am

Another wonderful guy! Wasn't his last movie the one where he "likes to watch?" Yes, How I learned to Love the Bomb--GREAT!

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:11 am

Am not so sure if I should see this film anymore...Not because of anything bad except several of my friends did a look of horror at my suggestion of buying it saying it was one of the scariest films they had ever seen, and it takes alot to scare them. I am not much of a horror fan, for example have never managed to watch Aliens all the way through and still find Jaws very scary...with this in mind should I avoid it? lol

Gillian
Site Admin

Post by Gillian » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:23 pm

There are a few 'jump out of your seat' scares and gore to spare, so if don't like that kind of thing, then this may not be the movie for you. Plus the mood is pretty intense and doesn't stop till the credits go up.

It's a personal choice though. Jason is still enough to watch the movie alone, as his is performance is the most genuine and unforced, and he does manage to avoid the cliche's that pepper the film. But I think the studios are more to blame in that regard. It's hard for them to break old patterns or move away from formulas that may have been successful in the past, but are becoming old and tired.

Not to say that the whole movie's like that, but they're there, lodged in between the better moments.

Hilary the Touched
Site Registrant

Post by Hilary the Touched » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:43 am

Oh dear, Rose...the gore in Event Horizon is pretty graphic. If that sort of thing bothers you, you are likely to have trouble with this movie.
As Gillian says, it also has a very very foreboding, suspenseful mood, and if you find that it's easy for you to become extremely absorbed and caught up in that, that may likewise be too much. I probably wouldn't watch this movie on my own, for example! My daughter watched it with me at the age of 15 or so, I think, and I don't think it warped her too much! The new DVD does have a nice set of interviews, including some time with JI, and if you're interested in the technical side of movie-making you'll enjoy the Paul Anderson segments as well.

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:58 pm

Kind of movie that sticks with you if you are watching it alone at night.............................................. My husband loved it. Not my cup a tea but still found it worth the time to watch.

ibelong2me

Post by ibelong2me » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks for the info and advice!

marilaine

Post by marilaine » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:27 pm

So, what is the extra bit of hell in EH, Gillian? Er, wait, maybe I ought to just rent it.
Those shorts are definitely worth it, though. :drool ~M'L :cool:

mariagare

Post by mariagare » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:09 pm

I remembered this movie giving me the willies when I watched it 10 years ago and I'm trying to recall whether I noticed the beautifully, pale trauma expert back then.

But what's most shocking about watching it now isn't the rather gruesome details but the visual of people smoking in a confined-space workplace. Oh how times they have a-changed.

Return to “Older classics”