The Patriot

The projects that don't have their own subforums, because they are older than The Lost Girls, but still deserve a special place on the board..

Moderators: thunder, fruitbat, Chari910, Marie, Helen8, Gillian, kjshd05, catloveyes

thunder
With her wheelbarrow full of surprises!

Re: The Patriot

Post by thunder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:23 am

Nice picture.
Should have used the flash?
Thanks for sharing, Revenante :D

BrodieCaffee

Post by BrodieCaffee » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Ooof watching this right now

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Found this today. It's a funny description of The Patriot.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/04 ... e-patriot/

Marie
I dig animals--sometimes hundreds of feet down

Post by Marie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:17 pm

That was pretty funny. I mean I knew it was a corny movie but some of the things pointed out had me in stitches.

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Watched it with DH, and we both laughed. Also, I forgot how gory that fight scene in the forest was. Yup. Overkill. (Pun intended.)

LadiSimone

Post by LadiSimone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Hello :?:

Got a question for you .. I was surfin on Amazon a few days ago and noticed that not only do they have the Patriot (special edition .. which is the DVD I have) but also an extended cut edition .. so, the question remains should I get back on Amazon and order the extended cut or be happy with special edition ( which I own) .. is there a big difference between the two or not?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:03 am

I think there were some deleted scenes on one of the versions, but I don't remember which it was. I think I saw the deleted scenes on YouTube, they may still be there, if you just want to see them, and not buy another version....?

thunder

Post by thunder » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:06 am

Jason talks about The Patriot for the 20th anniversary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy9rxMMnncs

:D

Helen8
Pillar of the Community

Post by Helen8 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:08 pm

Thanks, thunder. This was such a meaty interview. More than I've heard about the movie before.

The Patriot is where most of our members first got on the Jason bandwagon. Happy 20th anniversary! My anniversary will come in two years since I saw the sneak peak trailer of The Sorcerer's Stone and Lucius gave the "Let us hope . . .' line. That's when I caught up to the bandwagon. I hadn't seen The Patriot in 2000 but on DVD in 2002. I'll probably forget to wish myself happy anniversary in 2022. :roll:

servalan

Post by servalan » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:13 am

Thanks for that interview. I liked all the detail about the filming and the design of the final fight sequence.

I also agree with Jason - don't get your history from the movies! I am rather appalled that a school teacher would use a historically inaccurate film as a teaching tool!

There is a portrait of the real Tarleton in the National Gallery in London.

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/pain ... l-tarleton

thunder

Post by thunder » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:44 am

I agree with him about he issue about showing movies while teaching history. It's just that sometimes you would like to give students a treat. So you do all of this teaching about the subject, and then you show them the movie, asking them to find the errors. After the movie you go through everything that was done right/wrong in it... and then there comes the test, and all they remember is the movie... :roll:

I've never shown The Patriot, though. :mrgreen:

Anniemouse

The Patriot

Post by Anniemouse » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:43 am

Just finished watching this so here are my immediate thoughts on it.

So very saddened to see the youthful Heath Ledger and the much missed Rene Auberjonois (Odo in Deep Space Nine). Great performances by both actors and bother missed.

Jason plays the "beastly" Col Tavington all menace and self righteous manner. Murder and mayhem seems acceptable in achieving his aims (whatever they may be)

Ohhh the shaving scene and Jason lit up the screen every time he appears. The fight scenes were amazing. Got a shock with the headless soldier and the burning of the church scenes.

I can see how this was a break out role for Jason. Interesting that he seems to have little interest in the Hollywood machine and stayed true to his indie roots.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

thunder

Post by thunder » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:59 am

I think this probably was the first Jason-movie I watched. It didn't make an impression on me, but I liked it when I rewatched it after I "discovered" Jason some years later. It's not a very good movie from a history teacher POW, but it works for entertainment.

Anniemouse

Post by Anniemouse » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:12 am

Yes I can only imagine the liberties taken with the historical elements.

thunder

Post by thunder » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:15 am

Yes, and I was a history student at the time too... I also happened to watch it with a group of student friends, and one of them turned out to be one of Norway's most successful movie producers a few years later. I don't remember him being too impressed either, so it wasn't just me... :oops:

Return to “Older classics”